Taking on the responsibility of a job is a big step. To help you get experience or earn some money before you are ready to work, you can baby-sit, do yard work or odd jobs, or volunteer. (See VOLUNTEERING, p. 52). Remember, that any work you do, paying or non-paying, will help build a work record that can help you get future jobs. Doing a good job, being dependable and on time, and presenting yourself well will be as important as the type of work that you do.

Getting Ready

Before you apply for a job, make a list of your work experience, volunteer activities, odd jobs and adults who can give you recommendations. You will need a Social Security Card and a photo I.D. To get a Social Security Card, call 263-6848 or 1-800-772-1213. A driver's license, or a school picture I.D. will be accepted as a photo I.D. If you don't have either of these, you can go to the nearest Motor Vehicle Office and get a non-driver picture I.D.

If you are under age 18, you will need to get working papers/work permit. You can get the forms at your local high school. You will be required to have a physical. Check with your school to see if they will do this or if you will have to go to your doctor.

Wages and Hours

Minimum wage is $5.15 per hour. Some employers pay higher than minimum wage or may pay a shift differential (for example: if you work at night you get more per hour than those that work days). Some jobs, such as in restaurants, can pay you less than minimum wage. Be sure to ask when you take a job how much you will be paid. You will be limited as to the number of hours you can work based upon your age, day of week, and school year vs. summer.

The following chart tells you what the limits are.

School in session
JobMaximum Daily HoursHours/Wk.Days/Wk.Permitted Hours
14 & 15All except farm and newspaper3 hrs school days
8 hrs other
1867am - 7pm
16 & 17All except farm and newspaper4 hrs school days
8 hrs other
2866am - 10pm
14 & 15All except farm and newspaper8 hours4067am - 9pm
16 & 17All except farm and newspaper8 hours4866am - 12am
Not in School
16 & 17All except farm and newspaper8 hours4866am - 12am
11 to 18Delivers and sells newspaper4 hrs school days5 hrs otherNO LIMIT5am - 7pm
Farm Work
12 & 13Hand harvest fruit and vegetable4 hoursNO LIMIT7am - 7pm6/21 - Labor day
14+All farm workNO LIMIT

Once you get a job, you will have to fill out a form for the Federal and State governments called a W-4 form. Your employer can help you complete the form. At the end of the year, you will get a refund of all or part of the money that was withheld. Forms can be picked up at the library. (See LIBRARIES, p. 30) Also, see EDUCATION, p. 22 for a listing of vocational training programs.

Getting Leads

Here are some of the best ways to learn about job openings. First, tell everyone you know that you are looking for a job. Most people get jobs or leads on jobs by "word of mouth". You may use other resources such as the classified section of the newspaper, bulletin boards at schools, libraries, community centers, business or government offices, help wanted signs, or the Red Cross volunteer Directory. There are several industries that typically hire young people, including fast food restaurants, car washes, movie theaters and stores.

Once you have identified a lead, contact the employment office of the company or the manager (if there's no separate employment office) to inquire about the job. Remember to bring all the papers you need (Social Security Card, picture I.D., and work permit, if you are under 18). You lower your chances when you look for a job with a group of friends or dress improperly, or you have a negative attitude.

If you are looking for a summer job, start early. Most "good" summer jobs are filled by April.

Getting Help

To learn how to complete an application, write a resume and interview for a job, talk to your parents, school counselor or teacher. Libraries also have information about this. If you need some help in finding a job, start by contacting the following:

Finger Lakes Technical and Career Center Early Childhood Education Program
The Early Education Program prepares students to work in Child Care Centers and other Early Education programs.

Finger Lakes Career and Technical Center
Career and technical classes ranging from network technician to metal trades, usually for high school juniors and seniors.

Job Corps
(585)454-5130 or (800)760-4577
Job Corps provides training for youth between the ages of 16 and 24. Students stay at a residential campus while attaining their General Equivalency Diploma or high school diploma. In addition they take up a trace and receive certifications. Students with have a high school diploma can got to Job Corps to attain trade certification.

Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID)
(585) 238-2900
Works with adults with disabilities to help them find jobs and provides retraining support.

FInger Lakes Works
(315) 789-1771
Assists with job searches.

Unity House of Cayuga County Inc.
Employment services for disabled adults.

Ontario County Workforce Development
(585) 396-4020
Assistance in finding employment or better employment, gaining marketable skills, and entering education facilities.

Finger Lakes Internships
We set up internships for youth enrolled in an educational facility, aged 16 to 24. This is a paid internship developed around the interests of the youth. We also provide resources for school, families and students in the areas of social and emotional skills, transition, and college and career prep. In addition, we are working with http:.//www.reclaimouryouthny.com as a resource for those who work with youth.

The American Red Cross offers a one day certificate Babysitting Course for youth 11-14 years of age. The course is given in several locations. The cost is $30. Call (585)394-2260 or (315)789-1522 for more information.

  Home       Teens       Parents       Children       Search